sea fever poem questions and answers pdf : John Edward Masefield (1878-1967) was an English poet, writer, and Poet Laureate of the United Kingdom from 1930 till his death. He is also remembered as the author of the childrens’ novels The Midnight Folk and The Box of Delights.
The poem speaks of the excitement the poet feels at the anticipation of a sea-voyage. The passionate description of the seascape reveals the eternal desire of man to seek the splendour of nature.
sea fever poem questions and answers pdf
1. Choose the correct alternative to complete the following sentences
a) The poet asks for a sail the colour of which would be
b) While going down to the sea, the poet wants to hear the crying of
c) The wind on the sea is like a whetted
2. State whether the following statements are True or False. Provide sentences/ phrases/ words in support of your answer
a) To steer the ship the poet needs the moon.
Ans: False – “And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by.”
b) The call of the running tide is wild and clear.
Ans: True – “The call of the running tide is a wild call and a clear call.”
C) The poet is going out to the sea for the first time.
Ans: False – “I must go down to the seas again.”
3. Answer the following questions
a) During what time of the day does the poet wish to go down to the seas?
Ans : The poet wishes to go down to the seas at night.
b) What kind of day does the poet prefer for sailing?
Ans: The poet prefers a windy day with flying white clouds for sailing.
c) What does the poet prefer to hear from a fellow rover?
Ans: The poet prefers to hear a merry yarn from a laughing fellow-rover.
Grammar in use
4. Do as directed
a) What a shocking sight! (change into an assertive sentence)
Ans: It is a very shocking sight.
b) I am sure of his success. (change into a complex sentence)
Ans: I am sure that she will succeed.
c) Snigdha is not only wise but also brave. (change into a simple sentence)
Ans: Snigdha is wise and brave.
5. Write a summary of the following passage (within 100 words):
Ans: Pharaoh Tutenkhamun, son of Akhenaten, ruled Egypt between 1332-1323 BC. He became the king at the age of ren. He undertook many building projects that were centered around Thebes and Karnak. Tutankhamun built many temples and monuments. . Tutankhamun had various physical and health disorders. He suffered from ill health for a long period in his life. He always required a support of a cane to walk properly.
Tutenkhamun’s body was preserved as a mummy after afterhis death. In 1922, when Howard Carter discovered the mummy of Tutenkhamun, the tomb was nearly intact. When the tomb of Tutankhamun was discovered, it attracted worldwide and grew a great interest in ancient Egypt.
6. Write a newspaper report (within 100 words) on the incident of burglary in a flat in Kolkata using the following points:
A mysterious burglary
Kolkata, 5th July, 2023: A mysterious burglary was took place in Kolkata. A really daring burglary occurred in a flat at Salt Lake on last Monday. It is a small flat where an old man lives alone. It was about 11 A.M. in the morning. The old man was alone in the flat. When the doorbell rang the old man expecting the arrival of the gas cylinder.
When he opened the main door, a gang of robbers entered the flat and made the old man absolutely helpless with their threats. Then they opened the almirah and gathered all the ornaments and cash not less than of three lakhs and fled away. After their departure, the old man called the police. The investigation has been started by the police.
sea fever extra question to practice
A. Answer the following questions
1. Along with a windy day what does the poet want during his sea voyage?
Ans. Along with a windy day, the poet wants to enjoy white clouds flying during his sea voyage.
2. What attitude of the poet is revealed in the poem ‘Sea Fever’?
Ans. The poet is very excited, restless, and he has a strong desire to go back in sea.
3. Which things does the poet need for sailing?
Ans. The poet needs for a tall ship and a star as a guide and a windy day with white clouds.
4. What is the significance of the title ‘Sea Fever’?
Ans. ‘Sea Fever’ is a poem that expresses the strong desire, restlessness, excitement and intense longing to go back in sea of the poet.
5. Which birds have been mentioned in the poem?
Ans. The birds are Sea-gulls.
6. Why cannot the poet deny the call of the voyage?
Ans. The poet cannot deny the call of the voyage because the call is wild and clear.
7. What does the poet want to have when the voyage is over?
Ans. The poet wants to have quite sleep when the voyage is over.
8. Why does the poet choose the life of the gypsies?
Ans. The poet chooses the life of the gypsies because he loves the life of vagrant gypsies.
9. What kind of weather does the poet want before starting his voyage?
Ans. before starting his voyage, the poet wants a lonely sea, a favourable wind, and quiet sleep and a sweet dream.
10. With what has wind been compared to?
Ans. The wind has been compared to a whetted knife.
11. Why does the poet want to steer the ship?
Ans. The poet wants to steer the ship because he wishes to go down to the seas again.
12. Why does the poet want the wind to be like a whetted knife?
Ans. The poet compares the favourable wind with a whetted knife.
13. What does the poet desire to hear from a fellow rover when the journey is over or?
Or, What does the poet desire at the end of his exciting voyage?
Ans. After his journey the poet desires to hear a cheerful story from a fellow sailor.
14. What kind of tale does the poet want to be told?
Ans. The poet wants a merry yarn from a laughing fellow-rover to be told.
15. During what time of the day does the poet wish to go down to the seas?
Ans. The poet wishes to go down to the seas at the time of dawn breaking.
► Lesson 1 : Father’s Help
► Lesson 2 : Fable
► Lesson 3 : The Passing Away of Bapu
► Lesson 4 : My Own True family
► Lesson 5 : Our Runaway Kite
► Lesson 6 : Sea Fever
► Lesson 7 : The Cat
► Lesson 8 : The Snail
Download sea fever poem questions and answers pdf by clicking on the Answer Sheet button above. If you have difficulty downloading, inbox on our Facebook page. Students can SUBSCRIBE to our YouTube channel to get notes and suggestions on other topics from this link.