fable question answer class 10 : Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-1882) was an American essayist, lecturer, and poet. His famous poems include ‘Concord Hymn’ and ‘Brahma’. The poem describes a conversation between the squirrel and the mountain. The squirrel points out that in this world every being, living or non-living, big or small, have their individual reasons for existence.
fable question answer class 10
1. Choose the correct alternative to complete the following sentences:
(a) The quarrel was between the mountain and the
Ans: The quarrel was between the mountain and the squirrel
(b) Bun has no doubt that the mountain is
Ans: Bun has no doubt that the mountain is big
(c) Unlike a mountain, a squirrel can crack a
Ans: Unlike a mountain, a squirrel can crack a nut
2. State whether the following statements are true or false .Provide sentences / phrases / words in support of your answer:
(a) The mountain called the squirrel “little Bun”.
Ans: False – And the former called the letter “Little prig”.
(b) The squirrel is sprier than the mountain.
Ans: True – “And not half so spray”.
(c) The mountain can carry the forests on its back.
Ans: True – “If I can not carry forests on my back , neither can you crack a nut”.
3. Answer the following questions :
(a) Who had a quarrel with the squirrel?
Ans: Mountain had a quarrel with the squirrel
(b) What is not a disgrace to the squirrel?
Ans: To occupy her place is not a disgrace to the squirrel.
(c) What is it that the squirrel doesn’t deny?
Ans: The squirrel doesn’t deny that the mountain makes a very pretty squirrel track.
Grammar in use
4. Replace the underlined words with suitable phrasal verbs from the list. Change the form of verb where necessary:
List: turned down, come over, put up with, came across
(a) Robi met his friend in the park.
Ans: Robi came across his friend in the park.
(b) Tanushree cannot tolerate cruel behaviour to animals.
Ans: Tanushree cannot put up with cruel behaviour to animals.
(c) His proposal was rejected.
Ans: His proposal was turned down.
5. Change the voice of the following sentences:
(a) Lock the door.
Ans: Let the door be locked.
(b) Ashim knows the solution to this problem.
Ans: The solution to this problem is known to Ashim.
(c) I had written a letter.
Ans: A letter had been written by me.
Extra questions to practice
A. Choose the correct answer from the given alternatives.
1. The quarrel was between the squirrel and the-
2. “You are doubtless very big.”—Here the speaker is-
(a) the mountain
(b) the squirrel
(c) the poet
(d) the rabbit
3. According to the bun, the mountain is-
4. Mountain can carry forest on his-
5. A mountain is big but like a squirrel, it is not-
(a) lively and energetic
(b) wise and aggressive
(c) lovely and temperate
(d) good and gracious
6. The squirrel does not consider it a disgrace to
(a) be born on this planet
(b) possess a long tail
(c) have the agility
(d) occupy a small space
7. According to the squirrel, the mountain can create
(a) little streams
(c) shelter for wild animals
(d) pretty tracks for squirrels
8. The squirrel says that the mountain is not half so-
(a) big as he is
(b) lazy as he is
(c) spry as he is
(d) wise as he is
9. The poem refers to
(a) a conversation
(b) a quarrel
(c) an agreement
(d) a mockery
10. The two characters in the poem are-
(a) a fox and a mountain
(b) a mountain and a tree
(c) a mountain and a squirrel
(d) a fox and a tree
11. The squirrel thinks, if he occupies his place, it is a matter of no-
12. The mountain is-
(b) not agile
13. According to the squirrel, talents
(b) do not vary
(c) do not disagree
(d) do not exist
14. On his back, the squirrel
(a) can carry forests
(b) cannot carry forests
(c) can carry mountains
(d) cannot carry mountains
15. The mountain addressed the squirrel as
16. In this poem, the squirrel describes himself as-
(a) small and spry
(b) large and proud
(c) lazy but wise
(d) wise and boastful
17. To make up a year and a sphere, one must take
(a) all sorts of things
(b) all sorts of weather
(c) both (a) and (b)
(d) neither (a) nor (b)
18. In this poem ‘weather’ refers to-
19. “And the former called the latter… -Here the word ‘former’ refers to-
(a) the mountain
(b) the squirrel
(c) the forest
(d) a nut
20. “And the former called the latter… Here the word ‘latter’ refers to –
(a) the mountain
(b) the squirrel
(c) a nut
(d) the forest
B. State whether the following statements are true or false. Provide sentences / phrases / words in support of your answer.
1. The mountain called the squirrel ‘Little Bun’.
Ans : False. – “And the former called the latter ‘Little Prig’.
2. The squirrel is more spry than the mountain.
Ans : True. – And not half so spry,
3. The mountain can carry forests on its back.
Ans : True. – If I cannot carry forests on my back.
4. The poem refers to a quarrel.
Ans : True. – The mountain and the squirrel had a quarrel.
5. A lion can crack a nut.
Ans : False. – Neither can you crack a nut
6. While asserting the logic of his smallness the squirrel was very graceful.
Ans : True. – You are doubtless very big…
7. The squirrel says that the mountain is as lively as he is.
Ans : False. – And not half so spry
8. Bun thinks it is no disgrace to occupy his place.
Ans : True. – And I think it no disgrace / To occupy my place
9. A mountain is big, but it is not so lively and energetic as the squirrel.
Ans : True. – And not half so spry…
10. It takes the mountain and the squirrel to make up a year and a sphere.
Ans : False. – … all sorts of things and weather/Must be taken in together
C. Answer the following questions in brief:
1. Who had a quarrel with the squirrel?
Ans : The mountain had a quarrel with the squirrel.
2. What is not a disgrace to the squirrel?
Ans : To occupy its place is not a disgrace to the squirrel.
3. What is it that the squirrel doesn’t deny?
Ans : The squirrel doesn’t deny that the mountain makes a pretty squirrel track.
4. What did the mountain call the squirrel?
Ans : The mountain called the squirrel a Little Prig’.
5. Why did the mountain call the squirrel ‘Little Prig’?
Ans : The mountain mockingly called the squirrel ‘Little Prig’ because the squirrel played the role of a moralist who considered his opinions to be right.
6. What is the squirrel’s opinion of about the things needed to make a whole world?
Ans : According to the squirrel, all sorts of things and weather must be taken in together to make a year as well as the whole world complete.
7. “And the former called the latter”–Who are referred to here as ‘the former” and “the latter’?
Ans : In the poem “Fable’ by Ralph Waldo Emerson, the mountain is referred to as the former’ and the squirrel is referred to as the latter’.
8. Despite being small why does the squirrel feel it no disgrace to occupy its place?
Ans : Though the squirrel is a very small animal, it thinks it has an important part to play in the world. It feels no disgrace because it can perform many such tasks which a mountain cannot perform.
9. What is the opinion of the squirrel about itself and the Mountain?
Ans : According to the squirrel, the mountain may be much bigger than it, but the mountain doesn’t even have half the liveliness and energy of the squirrel.
10. What is that the squirrel doesn’t deny?
Ans : The squirrel does not deny the fact that the mountain is big in size and carries track for the squirrel and even gives then shelter.
11. What does Bun say about ‘Talents’?
Ans : Bun thinks that various species and things have different talents, and all talents are well and wisely organized to maintain the balance of nature.
13. What are needed to make up a year and a sphere?
Ans : All Sorts of things and weather are needed to make up a year and a sphere.
14. What is the squirrel’s opinion about itself?
Ans : The squirrel regards itself smaller than the mountain in size but not less important.
15. ‘not half so spry’ – Who is ‘not half so spry’?
Ans : The mountain is not half so spry as the squirrel.
► Lesson 1 : Father’s Help
► Lesson 2 : Fable
► Lesson 3 : The Passing Away of Bapu
► Lesson 4 : My Own True family
► Lesson 5 : Our Runaway Kite
► Lesson 6 : Sea Fever
► Lesson 7 : The Cat
► Lesson 8 : The Snail
Download father’s help question answers pdf by clicking on the Answer Sheet button above. If you have difficulty downloading, inbox on our Facebook page. Students can SUBSCRIBE to our YouTube channel to get notes and suggestions on other topics from this link.