Dear students of class 10, we’re exited to share father’s help question answers pdf with you. In this post, you’ll get the answer from Lesson 1, Father’s Help by RK Narayan in a PDF File.
We’ll also share some extra questions and answer for practice yourself from this story. All of the lesson you can get in a PDF sheet. So, let’s started.
father’s help question answers pdf
1. Choose the correct alternative to complete the following sentences:
(a) With a shudder Swami realized that it was
Ans: With a shudder Swami realized that it was Monday.
(b) When swami ought to have been in the school prayer hall, he was lying on the
Ans: When swami ought to have been in the school prayer hall, he was lying on the bench.
(c) According to swami, Samuel is especially angry with boys who are
Ans: According to swami, Samuel is especially angry with boys who are late.
2. Fill in the chart with information from the text:
(a) time when Swami complained of a headache
Ans: at nine o’clock
(b) person who ordered Swami to dress up and go to school
Ans: Swaminathan’s father
(c) name of the teacher mentioned by Swami
3. State whether the following statements are True or False. Provide sentences / phrases / words in support of your answer:
(a) Swami said that he had a headache.
Ans: True – Supporting statement: “At nine o’clock, Swaminathan wailed , “I have a headache.”
(b) Swami was lying his father’s room.
Ans: False – “At 9:30 when he ought to have been in the school prayer hall, Swami was lying on the bench in mother’s room.
(c) According to Swami, the headmaster was not afraid of Samuel.
Ans: False – “He say that even the headmaster is afraid of him.”
4. Choose the correct alternative to complete the following sentences:
(a) Father decided to send the headmaster a
Ans: Father decided to send the headmaster a letter.
(b) While going to school swami was bothered by
Ans: While going to school swami was bothered by conscience
(c) The colour of Samuel’s coat was
Ans: The colour of Samuel’s coat was yellow.
5. Complete the following sentences with information from the text:
(a) Father’s behaviour took an unexpected turn.
(b) Swami went to school feeling that he was the worst boy on earth.
(c) Swami stopped on the roadside to makeup his mind about Samuel.
6. Answer the following questions:
(a) Where did Father put the letter?
Ans: Father put the letter in an envelope and sealed it.
(b) What did Swami fail to decide about Samuel?
Ans: Swami could not decide if Samuel really deserved the allegations made against him in the letter.
(c) How did Samuel look?
Ans: Samuel had a dark face with a thin moustache. His cheek was unshaven. He wore a yellow coat.
7. Choose the correct alternative to complete the following sentences:
(a) When Swami entered the class, Samuel was teaching
Ans: When Swami entered the class, Samuel was teaching arithmetic
(b) Swami was late to school by
(i) half an hour
(ii) an hour
(iii) two hours
(iv) three hours
Ans: Swami was late to school by half an hour.
(c) The headmaster was on a leave for one
Ans: The headmaster was on a leave for one week.
8. Complete the following sentences with information from text:
(a) As Swami entered the school gate, an idea occurred to him.
(b) Swami stood at the entrance to his class.
(c) Father snatched the letter away from Swami and tore it up.
9. Fill in the chart with information from the text:
|(a) Due to headache.
|(a) Swami did not do his homework.|
|(b) Swami never met anyone as good as Samuel||(b) Swami sat down, feeling sad.|
|(c) The head master had gone a week’s leave.
|(c) Swami could not deliver the letter|
Grammar in use
10. Choose to correct alternative to complete the following sentences :
(a) Rina (take/takes/took) the bus to school everyday.
Ans: Rina takes the bus to school everyday.
Reason: This sentence is in Simple Present Tense (habitual action)
Sentence Structure : S + V (es/s) + O.
If the subject is Third person singular (He/She/it or Singular form) then its take ‘s’ or ‘es’ with main verb.
(b) Last Monday, while we (was watching / have been watching/ were watching) the television, electricity went off.
Ans: Last Monday, while we were watching the television, the electricity went off.
Reason: This sentence is in Past Continuous.
Sentence Structure : S + was/were + V + ing + O.
(c) By this time tomorrow they (will have left/will have leave /will had left).
Ans: By this time tomorrow they will have left.
Reason: Try to understand the sentence. Here its Tomorrow. What is came in mind. That’s mean it’s a future sentence. And according to the rules of future, Subject + Will + Have ….
11. Fill in the blanks with appropriate articles and prepositions:
Ans: Arifa, the younger of the two girls, has cracked IIT, while one is an engineer in a multinational company.
Extra short questions to practice
1. What excuse does Swami make to his mother about not going to school?
Ans: Swami’s excuse to his mother was that he had a headache.
2. What is the mother’s response to Swami’s condition?
Ans: The mother generously suggests that Swami might stay at home.
3. What excuse does Swami make to his father about going late to class?
Ans: Swami told his father that if he goes late in school, the teacher will scold him.
4. What kind of parents did Samuel like?
Ans: Samuel liked parents like Swami’s father who do not allow their children to miss school
5. According to Swami, what does Samuel do the children?
Ans: Samuel is a very angry man. He is especially angry with boys who come in late. Sometimes he scolds the children.
6. After the father hears about Samuel, what does he do for Swami?
Ans: Samuel’s father writes a letter to the headmaster and asks Swami to deliver it to him.
7. How does Swami feel about Samuel as he is going to school?
Ans: While going to school, Swami feels guilty what he said about Samuel.
8. How long was Swami late?
Ans: Swami was late for class by half an hour on that day.
9. What does Samuel say about Swami’s lateness?
Ans: Samuel did not scold Swami at all and allows him to enter into the class.
10. When would Samuel got angry the most?
Ans: Samuel would get angry the most at the time of inspecting the home lessons.
11. What happens when Swami goes to the headmaster to give father’s letter to him?
Ans: Swami comes to know that the headmaster had gone on a week’s leave.
12. Who is the assistant headmaster?
Ans: Samuel is the assistant headmaster
13. Who was Swami? What was his full name?
Ans: Swami was a young school going boy. His full name was Swaminathan.
14. What is the source of the story “Father’s Help”?
Ans: The short story “Father’s Help” is an edited excerpt from R.K Narayan’s famous short story collection “Malgudi Days”.
15. What did Swami realizes lying in bed?
Ans: Lying in bed, Swami realized that it was Monday morning and he had to attend school.
16. What hope cropped up in his mind then?
Ans: Swami hoped that he might avoid going to school then. Actually he was quite unwilling to attend school on that day.
17. What did Swami do to avoid school?
Ans: Being unwilling to go to school, Swami gave a lame excuse. He pretended that he had been suffering from a headache.
18. What did Swami hope?
Ans: Swami hoped that he would be able to convince his father with his excuse why he wanted to avoid school on that day.
19. What did Swami’s mother say when she heard him wailing?
Ans: When Swami’s mother heard him wailing, she affectionately suggested him to stay at home.
20. What was the advice to Swami by his father to avoid headache?
Ans: When Swami’s father heard of Swami’s headache on Monday, he suggested Swami that Swami should loaf about less on Sundays to be without headache on Mondays.
21. Where should have been Swami at 9.30? What was he doing then?
Ans: At 9.30, Swami should have been in the school prayer hall. But Swami was lying on the bench in the mother’s room then.
22. How did Swami’s father hand over the letter to Swami?
Ans: After writing a long letter to the headmaster, Swami’s father put it in an envelope and sealed it before handing it over to Swami.
23. Why did not Swami like to go to school in Samuel’s class?
Ans: According to Swami, Samuel was an angry man. He was specially angry with the students who came late in his class. To avoid of being scolded from Samuel as he was late, he did not want to attend school.
24. What tactics did Swami take to convince his father?
Ans: To convince his father, Swami changed his tactics and told him that he could not go to school now as he was late. His teacher Samuel felt angry with the late comers.
25. What was the unexpected turn did Swami find in his father’s behaviour?
Ans: Swami found an unexpected change in his father’s behaviour. His father was stubborn in his attitude to send Swami to attend school along with a letter to the headmaster complaining against teacher, Samuel.
► Lesson 1 : Father’s Help
► Lesson 2 : Fable
► Lesson 3 : The Passing Away of Bapu
► Lesson 4 : My Own True family
► Lesson 5 : Our Runaway Kite
► Lesson 6 : Sea Fever
► Lesson 7 : The Cat
► Lesson 8 : The Snail
Download father’s help question answers pdf by clicking on the Answer Sheet button above. If you have difficulty downloading, inbox on our Facebook page. Students can SUBSCRIBE to our YouTube channel to get notes and suggestions on other topics from this link.